Do you remember when your Mom told you to mind your manners? She told you when you ate your pork chop lollipop style and then taught you to cut it up (again). She told you when you and your sister argued in the backseat of the family car. She told you once more to mind your manners when you hogged the bed when you slept on the same mattresses with your siblings. Mattresses in larger sizes are made to be shared, do you know the proper etiquette?
Sharing mattresses has its own etiquette. It is similar to what mom taught you and one you hope your partner’s mom taught them.
Manners for Mattresses
• Which side of the bed is yours? Choosing the side of the bed you sleep on may have to do with how the bed is positioned, (if you get up during the night) if your bed is against the wall, and your previous habit on past mattresses.
• Don’t crowd your partner. Your side of the mattresses is your side and theirs is theirs. This is especially important if you have one of the form fitting mattresses like Tempur-Pedic or one that is set at your personal comfort level like a Sleep Number one. Plus, your height and weight may cause your partner discomfort when you sleep too close on some mattresses. You may cause dip or wells that smaller partners may have trouble adjusting to.
• Turn carefully. Tossing and turning on very firm mattresses can not only bounce your partner, it can shake them out of bed!
• Don’t bring electronic devices to bed. The noise and light is disturbing and can disrupt you (and your partners) sleeping pattern.
• Choose a time for when you’ll both hit the mattresses. No matter what tomorrow brings, it’s easier to handle when you are alert and focused.
• Be aware of your partner’s needs. Never fight in bed or go to bed without resolving an issue.